Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Precocity: "Logan's Run" Syndrome In Programming


I just turned 40. If you are old like me please stop reading now.

I just read an articule on Slashdot and I am realizing that my days as a programmer could be numbered! Apparently many hiring managers tend to look at resumes with an eye for youth. Older workers are often described as "over qualified" when they really mean that they are too old. (forced retirement) Here is another articule on the topic about an old guy with a bunch of certifications and degrees that can't find a job. (age discrimination). yawn.... heard that before. But I have just realized that the issue appears to be more complex than just age discrimination.

There are good programmers and bad ones and age doesn't really seem to be a factor in my mind. I don't necessarly even equate creativity with youth either. Malcolm Gladwell wrote and article about about why we equate genius with precocity and the jist of it is that there is such a thing as a "Late Bloomer". Older programmers also have experience on their side.

HOWEVER, I think these hiring managers may being unwittingly on to something here. The youth of today have never know a world without technology. Its second nature to them. "They've grown up immersed in digital technologies and there's evidence they're being affected in ways unheard of before computers and the Web. And their parents -- sometimes called Digital Immigrants -- are still getting accustomed to their hyperconnected world." (natives)

I was born on the cusp of this techological revolution. To be honest I sometimes feel like an "immigrant" in this brave new world. I am not sure if this world is better or worse than the old one but it sure is different. We are entering the next phase of human evolution and if old people like me don't learn to evole with it we are going to get left behind in a hurry. (Human 2.0)

3 comments:

  1. OK Trey, I took the bait. I am over 40 and I kept reading!!!

    So what will happen with all of the "over qualified" people in the job market? Will they be forced into retirement and have to accept jobs as greeters at Walmart? I think not.

    We may be in the minority but being able to continue in the age of technology is a must. Helping the "elderly" to adjust to technology may be a never ending task, but gaining knowledge from "seasoned" individuals is unequaled.

    We must never think that age should be a restriction as to any individual. As the article suggested that if you are searching for a job the face to face interview might be better.

    But of course as a hiring manager, what options do you have in filling a position? That is a difficult assignment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It could be very hard to be a hiring manager now; Technology seems to be evolving at an ever increasing rate, I wonder if there is a milestone where someone starts seeing new technology as a challenge as opposed to a new frontier. Maybe it varies with the technology and the individuals perceived usefulness of the invention. Wisdom and work ethic are traits hiring manager should consider also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was trying to "stir" the pot a little bit with this posting. I do think that things are changing pretty fast and youngsters tend to adopt some of these technologies a little more quickly for better or worse than an older person like myself. There is no substitute for wisdom ,experience and a strong work ethic.

    ReplyDelete